MANCHESTER SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE STATEMENT

For a long time, I was always muddled with my identity. Coming from the Malaysian-Indian community, my sense of belonging fell somewhere in between. That perspective changed during my visit to the Batu Caves Temple, where I was part of a vibrant festival, Thaipusam. Although being a Hindu festival, witnessing everyone unite to appreciate the eclectic architecture of the temple regardless of their diverse ethnicities made me realize how Malaysia is a true cultural melting pot.

Evolving from a limestone cave to a religious space, the Lord Murugan temple’s architecture has personally become my favourite design and has evoked a strong sense of emotion towards its visitors while preserving its authenticity. Additionally, this temple is surrounded by nature promoting natural ventilation throughout. With its highly built ornate structures, namely the Gopurams, this temple follows the Dravidian style architecture while still assimilating Malaysian culture in it. It is the distinctive characters of this place that strikes a perfect balance between a sacred space and an open public area.

With an approach towards sustainability, while incorporating traditional elements into modern designs, Ar Thirilogachandran, a renowned Malaysian architect has been my biggest inspiration. Witnessing his diverse works including living, leisure, religious, and working spaces along the years, I was also fortunate to have worked alongside him. His natural architectural style which has a strong ecological emphasis intrigues me most. However, I deeply admire how he has distinguished himself by spreading his influence across Asia with his active involvement in the architectural community through ARCASIA, PAM, EAROPH and his inspiring talks based on ‘Living Green’. A piece of his work that I have always admired is a painting of Mahatma Gandhi. Inspired by my father, I reinterpreted the painting in my own variation which I have included in my portfolio.

Nestled along a stream, Fallingwater by Frank Lloyd Wright is undeniably a work I wish to experience. With its organic architecture, it is refreshing to observe the integration of the human-made structure with nature. Along with its stone exterior, light ochre colour and stacked outline highlighting the waterfall, it is also the waxed stone floors and interior cork walls that makes the entire design blend into its wooden environment. Deeply rooted in nature, the aesthetics of this design resembles nature’s endless energy while respecting its space.

Located in the heart of Manchester, it is the surroundings of MSA with an array of inspiring architectural styles from contemporary to medieval and the vibrant culture of the city that has affirmed my choice in pursuing my course at MSA. With a balance in academics and innovative studio design works, I am sure MSA would amplify my enthusiasm to study architecture in a competitive yet stimulating environment.

Comments

Popular Posts